Cedric's Reflections

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I was actually quite looking forward to embarking on this particular Heritage Trail as it was probably one area of Singapore that although I think many people frequent, not many realize that these monuments and memorials existed.

I shamefully have to admit that I myself am one of the few who did not know that some of the monuments were actually right in the middle of what we considered 'town'. An example would be how I had never known that the Esplanade Park was actually just behind the Esplanade Theatres On The Bay despite having gone there on a number of occasions. It was this realization that made me see just how little we might actually know of all these monuments and their significance.

Walking through the Heritage Trail made me notice how rich Singapore's history is in many ways and how lacking our knowledge is of the past. Prior to experiencing the trail for myself, I knew about the places such as the Old Supreme Court or the Civilian War Memorial but never really bothered to learn about its history. Yet there were places such as the Tan Kim Seng Fountain and the Dalhousie Obelisk that I had no idea existed in the first place! This has made me realize that even though the country has done well to commemorate these important people and events that are significant to in our history, not enough is being done to ensure that people understand its significance. Despite the knowledge that I have gained in school about our country's history, I now know that it is not enough to simply talk about them in class but rather, should take more vested interest in spreading the understanding of these memorials and monuments that provide a deeper insight into our past.

The efforts for the preservation of Singapore's historical sites are to be commended and the National Heritage Board (NHB) has done an amazing job of conservation many of the monuments. The modernization of the country has meant that some of these historical sites have had to undergo a makeover in recent years. The Arts House was a prime example, to me, of how a historical site can be commercialized and yet retain some parts of it, such as the Elephant Statue, that harks back to its historical roots.
However, I feel that some of the commercial reuse of historical sites, such as the Old Supreme Court, has caused it to lose meaning as it appears to be in the midst of becoming an art museum.

I feel that visiting the sites still invoke memories of our country's past and remains vital pieces of reminding people of the history of the nation. With that said, the effort of the government and the NHB cannot be the only thing done in preserving these monuments but rather, the onus also lies on us as citizens to remember and understand our history.

0 comments:

Post a Comment